Friday, June 12, 2015

Orlando's Music Scene

Orlando's Music Scene

June 12, 2015
By Laura Knight
Let’s kick out the jams! Scroll for a few tips.
  • Where to see concerts
  • How to find out about upcoming shows
  • Popular local bands
By now, I’m sure you’ve heard that The Rolling Stones are performing this weekend in Orlando, and maybe you’re going (lucky!). International headliners are no strangers to this city, but smaller concerts and local bands are a little harder to pin down. This is especially true if you’re new to Orlando or have been out of the music scene for a while.
If you haven’t been to a concert in a long time …
In my heyday I knew what bands were playing, when, where and which venues had the best parking. These days? Not so much. Maybe I have been focusing on all the boring parts of “adulting.”
But …
I LOVE live music. I never stopped loving live music. So, I'm rekindling my live-music-romance. There are plenty of awesome musicians and venues for enjoying a concert here … you just have to go.
If you're new to town, visiting or just trying to get back into the music scene, here are some tips.

Orlando Venues

Near the attractions
Universal CityWalk® is home to Hard Rock Live® and several themed restaurants like, Bob Marley - A Tribute to Freedom(SM), that offer live music nightly.
Downtown Disney has The House of Blues(which by the way is hosting Local Brews and Grooves this weekend).
I-Drive
This Orlando attraction feels local (because it is) and includes live theater, art, dance, rock music and flying paint! –DRIP
Downtown/downtown(ish) 
Some of my favorite old haunts:

Orlando’s musical identity is more than 90’s boy-bands

There is an eclectic mix of venues and talented musicians rocking the scene here.
Two of my favorite local bands:
Eugene Snowden - The Legendary JC’s
It doesn’t matter what kind of music you are into or how old you are — you will have a good time at a Eugene Snowden show. A rip-roaring-booty-shakin’-best-night-of-your-life time. Trust me. The Legendary JC’s are just that – legendary – in Orlando. Often, you can find the soulful frontman hosting Ten Pints of Truth at Lil’ Indies on Wednesday nights. Here’s a sample:
Violectric
They're different and fun. Violectric was recently ranked as a top 5 favorite by locals via Orlando A-List City Voter. Watch them cover Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child O Mine" in this clip.

Keeping up with local music

There is a lot of fantastic music stuff happening in Central Florida all the time. It’s impossible to keep track of all of it. Here’s how I create my own mini-network of music news:
Where do you like to see concerts, what local bands do you enjoy? Tell me about it in the comments!
Want content like this delivered to your inbox? Subscribe!

No comments: